In August 2019, the All-Atlantic Ocean Research Alliance launched an Ocean Youth Ambassadors programme to empower the next generations to become actors of change in their communities by promoting the sustainable development and stewardship of the Atlantic Ocean for future generations. One year and one cohort later, the All Atlantic Ocean Research Alliance is looking for a new generation of Youth Ambassadors to take over the good work. The first goal of the Ambassadors will be to drive change in their own communities and beyond.
The ambassador selected by JPI Oceans will be appointed, together with the Ambassadors selected by other partner institutions representing other regions/countries, for a preliminary period of 1-year beginning in December 2020. They will be invited take part in a new edition of the All Atlantic Ocean Summer School (June 2021, tbc), providing them with an opportunity to engage with political, social, economic and scientific leaders to develop the necessary skills to become actors for change in 2020 and beyond. Other events and activities will include:
- Take part in the new cohort announcement at the All-Atlantic Ocean Research Forum, taking place virtually on 3-4 December 2020
- Take part in the All-Atlantic Introduction Training (February 2021, tbc)
- Develop campaigns and actions within the context of the list of “All-Atlantic Opportunities” and showcase, in the Ambassador’s community, possible activities and solutions addressing the sustainability challenges faced by the Atlantic Ocean and by local communities whose well-being and livelihoods depend on the Atlantic. The list of “All-Atlantic Opportunities” will be given to the newly selected youth ambassadors.
- Become fully embedded in the activities of the All-Atlantic Ocean Research Alliance, including its communication activities, and take part in its collaborative pilot actions.
- Become embedded in activities of and receive support from the selecting organisation.
- Knowledgeable and passionate about the ocean and seas, including their functioning and relevance for life in the planet, as well as the major environmental and societal threats that currently affect them.
- Interested in science diplomacy, policy making, public engagement, education and training.
- Good communicator, and willing to use social media/blogs/videos/performances and writing articles to inform others.
- Between the ages of 18 – 30 years (as of 1 June 2020).
- Belgian national or resident/based in/student in Belgium.
- Confident English speaker and comfortable with public speaking.
- Able and willing to take part in the virtual Induction Training in February (tbc), 2021.
- Able and willing to take part in the Summer School in June (tbc), 2021.
- Participate in relevant events and meetings in person & virtually.
- Committed to giving time to this programme from December 2020 and beyond.
- Be a self-starter and become a good team player with the other All-Atlantic Ocean Youth Ambassadors
To apply for this opportunity, please send your CV, letter of motivation (max. 1 page) and filled out Youth Ambassador Application Form to email@example.com
The deadline for applications is November 8th (23:59 CET). Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Applying as soon as possible is therefore encouraged! Please note that only Belgian nationals or residents aged 18-30 are eligible for this call.